Landroid M500 WR141E (2019) battery upgrade + GPS

• I just want to share my DIY upgrade, perhaps someone will consider it useful.

After disassembling original pack - there are 5x Sony VTC4 US18650VTC4 batteries inside ( 2100mAh max 30A ).

20190525_095234.jpg

Initially the plan was to open battery box and solder extra cells directly to original pack, but then I decided to extend wires and make it external.

This will allow to add more cells if needed.

20190525_112357.jpg

20190525_112428.jpg

I didn't had exactly the same cells so I added similar Samsung cells with higher capacity and lower max current (2500mAh 20A).

Current isn't a problem as I have now 2x cells in parallel, to balance them properly I had to connect 5 balancing wires.

14AWG high quality wires for power output and thinner 20AWG wire for balancing (sorry I only had one color - red ).

20190525_122709.jpg

Total capacity ~5.5Ah.

20190526_102242.jpg

I was planning to add GPS inside the mower, but I though adding them into battery will let it work ever with battery disconnected.

Added power connector for GPS module to switch it off during winter.

20190526_113236.jpg

Total cost ~30EUR:

- 5x Samsung INR1865025R - 2500mAh, 20A ( 5x3.4EUR= 17EUR)

- cheap GPS tracker from china - 10EUR

- some wires and plastic cells holders - 2-3EUR

20190526_113330.jpg

Works perfectly so far - much longer mowing time, less charging cycles. Just need to put everything into nice looking heat wrap.

Very happy about this upgrade.

Files

Edited 5 times, last by ALN ().

• Hi Alm, what kind of robot upgraded with the mentioned extra battery pack? And how big are you able to cut with? Because I am just before the mower purchase with a strong intention to pay what needed but not more.. Thanks in advance!

• Hi, good solution, If i can retrieve 5 sony VTC4 US18650VTC4 how can i connect them with the original battery? can you provide better schema of wire connections? thanks!

• Thanks for sharing ALN ! :thumbup:

Can you give more details about your GPS ? What are you using on your DIY board beside a stepdown to 5V ? How do you retrieve the coordinates ?

Thanks !

• I bought this GPS from ALi:

https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…269583.0.0.728526781bJaNV

I use it w/o plastic body to save space. There is no need to add any stepdown board for 5V. GPS operating voltage is 9-36V

Works perfectly via http://www.dyegoo.net

The only drawback I noticed is battery drain, sometimes when I go for holidays, I put my robot in the garage for safety reasons and after 5-6 days battery was almost empty.. So it's important to have a possibility to siwtch it off when storing for longer period w/o charging.

I also bought powerfull Lenovo 90W 20V charger to improve charging time, the only problem - I can't find sutable connector.

It uses EXCEEDCONN connector, and I can't find a place to buy it.untitled.png

BTW if you have problems with WIFI connection being weak in your garden, this one works great as WIFI extender:

https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…042311.0.0.27424c4dhlHRSl

• Hi Alm, what kind of robot upgraded with the mentioned extra battery pack? And how big are you able to cut with? Because I am just before the mower purchase with a strong intention to pay what needed but not more.. Thanks in advance!

My lawn is ~1000-1200m2, but it has a lot of different obstacles - trees, trampoline legs, above ground pool, flower islands and a few very narrow passages below 1m wide.

To give you an idea of lawn size - I had to lay down ~350m of perimeter wire and that's not the end..

M500 model with larger battery is fully enough. I goes out only twice a day.

Edited once, last by catraxx ().

• ALN, as you clearly know what you are doing perhaps you could shed some light on this for me. I too wanted a longer battery life but seeing as WORX have inter-changable batteries I have several larger capacity batteries from other tools. They all work fine in the m500 but for reasons I cannot understand the charging station will only charge them to the power output of the small battery that is supplied with the robot. Is this a charger limitation or software within the mower itself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• ALN, as you clearly know what you are doing perhaps you could shed some light on this for me. I too wanted a longer battery life but seeing as WORX have inter-changable batteries I have several larger capacity batteries from other tools. They all work fine in the m500 but for reasons I cannot understand the charging station will only charge them to the power output of the small battery that is supplied with the robot. Is this a charger limitation or software within the mower itself? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

that is not normally, normally the mower charged a bigger battery to the full capacity.

You can check the Logfile after charging battery if mower charged battery completely full.

• Hi,

that is not normally, normally the mower charged a bigger battery to the full capacity.

You can check the Logfile after charging battery if mower charged battery completely full.

Many thanks for your reply. I shall check the logfile but it definitely only charges to under half the capacity of the larger battery. I'm wondering if this is intentional as it is far cheaper to buy a larger capacity battery than the next mower up which is basically the same robot but with a larger battery,,,,

• I've just a small qeustion, approx the m500 runs 1 hour with one full charged 2ah Battery right?

So the mower consumes 2A of current. Even if the mower runs 30min, it only consumes 4A of current.

My Idea ist to uses the 5 small holes instead of drilling new holes.

So a 0,75mm² cable would be more than enough right?

klick

• Hi,

I always thought the difference between the M and L is the capacity of the transfo /charger

Same battery but being able to load it much faster, for a non-justified big increase in the price

Am i right or wrong here?

• Am i right or wrong here?

The charger and the 'ground-chassis' are equal.

The main-difference is the greater battery (2Ah to 4Ah) and a better display.

• More the differences within the M

differences between WR141E / WR142E / WR143E 

i looked and could not find battery size difference more charger capacity differences,

Again, i might be wrong

Edited once, last by Raoulle ().

• WR141: Battery 2Ah, no graphic display

WR142: Battery 4Ah, graphic display

WR143: Battery 4Ah, graphic display + stronger charging power supply

last not least, the length of the enclosed boundery wire is also different:)

Landroid S WR106 seit 6/17 - FW3.40 - 200m² - Einfachgrundstück
    Landroid M WR111 seit 8/17 - FW5.21 - 700m² - Buckelhangpiste
    iobroker auf RaspberryPi mit Adapter 'Worx' von Meistertr für Positec S-M-L-Kress Modelle

iRobot Roomba 650

FAQ Allgemein lesen hilft

Edited once, last by Buggyman ().

• So the huge price difference between the WR142 and the WR143 is about a stronger charger...

Having a Wr142, do you think i could buy this stronger charger somewhere?

Mainly because the home made battery mod does not seem fit for the WR142/WR143 which has less room left for extra cells in the battery room / place