Hom-Bot 3.0 Hacking

• Hello everyone,

I need some help.

I have a VRF6570LVM robot (6570), but accidentally I updated its firmware to 16522 version from VR6270LVM (6270). Now it could not boot, just shows ∞ figures on start.

Is any chance to restore my 6570? Or update to some another firmware version to get it work? LGE support could not help, they do not have firmware for 6570 yet.
    So, I need an original firmware for 6570 ideally..

Some tech details:
    * Reset (Turbo + Home) does not work.
    * It reacts to updates though.

.sh and .axf do not used anymore in 6570 — thats why I "updated" to 6270, I played with .sh script, but forgot to remove update.dat from flash stick.

I can build another update.dat myself with some scripts, but I do not know, which script robot executes and which script I can safely override using my update.

• Do you have an backup of your firmware? I also have a VSR8600, but unfortunately I downgraded to 16222 and can't upgrade to anything higher.
    When I got the robot, I installed 16522 right way because I thought that was necessary for the wifi-hack... afterwards the robot didn't respond at all, so I had to downgrade to 16222. Now I'm stuck with this old version, can't find a newer one.

Where did you get 16222? Any link?

• hi, after installing the hack on VR8601 the remote control of the hombot no longer works. Is that a known issue ?

• Well, I found 16222 firmware and it works okay now.

Ok, I've found it at the Taiwanese section of the LG website.

But i want to update to the latest firmware that came with the VSR8600RR,

• Does anybody know format of cleaner logs? Those BBL and BLK files.

For BBL it is quiet simple, but what about 3rd coordinate? Is it a speed? Or height? It has very vary range (40, -10, 17985, -17985).
    For BLK - all links to viewers are broken, online convertes could not help. However it looks like plain bitmap, just need to understand its header.

P.S. Does anybody have 6570 model (VRF6570LVM and so on)? I would be thankful for its original firmware dump. You can do it with the following script: https://pastebin.com/raw/utCrSWnD (save it as "root_update.sh"). It is absolutely safe, it just copies firmware files to the TAR archive on your flash stick.

Edited once, last by flywat ().

• Hi all,

I just bought a VR8601RR HomBot (Product code: VR6570LV.ARDQEEU) and would like to share my experience.

After a few first moves around the living room, I checked the firmware version with the blackbox trick: 17341.
    I made a full backup, but I was wondering how /what file(s) I could use to eventually make a restore. See the picture with filenames; Do I asume correctly that the "backall.tar" file is a compressed file with all the other files? Can anyone explain these files and their function?

Capture.JPG

Hereafter I installed the Wifi hack, without any prior firmware change, and then the webserver (lg.srv) version 2.51. All seems to work fine. Remote controller still works, as well as the webinterface. I can also see the images of the onboard camera.

Next steps are playing around with the android app and the alternative webserver.

• Heb ik ook... volgens mij werkt dan alleen nog de GO HOME knop.

Het zou kunnen komen omdat de wifi hack firmware versie 16552 verwacht en niet versie 16222.
    Zit ook tussen de de bestanden van de wifi hack (config_local_16552.xml)

• Seit dem Update des HomeBot (VR 6270 - Version 16552) fährt mein kleiner Freund nicht mehr für Reinigungszwecke unter das Bett. Das war immer schon recht knapp von der Höhe her, hat aber immer ohne anzuecken oder festfahren gereicht. Nun fährt er nur noch an die Kante, nicht mehr aber unter das Bett (was immer eine große Hilfe war). Hat sich da etwas geändert (Wahrnehmung und Funktion) und wenn ja, ist das ggf. anpassbar an irgendeiner Stelle (auch für "Nichtprogrammierer")?

Danke für einen kleinen Tipp & Grüße,
    Stefan.

• Hallo zusammen,

ich hatte von meinem Hombot als ich ihn bekommen hab ein Fullback gemacht mit dem Script das ich hier im Forum gefunden habe.
    Nach ein paar änderungen würde ich gerne wieder den kompletten Orignalzustand wiederherstellen.
    Wie kann ich nun das Backup das ich damals gemacht habe wieder in den Hombot laden?
    Hat jemand eine Update.sh dafür?

• Hello everyone,

I have a LG-Hombot VSR8640PG, product code VR6570LVP.

'as is' the wifi mod does not work on this bot. However, after tinkering and comparing the mod files with the actual files on the bot's filesystem, I've gotten past that.

So it now runs wifi and the lg.srv webpage is up. This works for as far as info coming from the filesystem, so maps and CPU load, batt power, works. However the cam and the remote buttons do not work.

This bot is supposed to have 2 cams, which might be a reason why the cam doesnt work.

Also, from exploring the lg.srv code I learn that it connects to localhost 4000 on the bot for the buttons. However, this bot does not have anything listening on port 4000, but it DOES have something listening on port 9000 on localhost.

So I suspect if I change the port from 4000 to 9000, i'll be in business.

However, this requires a recompile. The code readme simply states 'cross compile for your bot'. The code itself assumes an angstrom distribution. The issue is that the cross-compile toolchain for angstrom is no longer available fom their website.

Now crosscomping isn't my expertise. As far as I can tell, I can use the Raspberry Pi toolchain, as cat/proc/cpuinfo gives me this:

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
    BogoMIPS : 699.59
    Features : swp half fastmult vfp edsp java
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x0
    CPU part : 0xb76
    CPU revision : 7

Which is the same as the Pi. Is this correct?

Besides that, this bot also has 'httpd' present. Starting it, will open up a webserver on port 80. This makes me believe the lg.srv won't even be neccesary. Is this also correct? Ofcourse I'd have to do some coding to get the interface to port 9000 working, but should not be too hard.

• In the meantime, I've solved most of the issues myself. Found the angstrom toolchain by using archive.org, which still had it. Also got the SSL and openSSH files, and with some tinkering, got it to compile and run.

Simply changeing port 4000 to port 9000 did unfortunatelly not do the job for the controls. This needs further investigation. The webinterface works, both the original one as the new version. With the exception of the controls and the cams.

• The issue I'm having now.. I have the mod working on LG-Hombot VSR8640PG, product code VR6570LVP, for as far as the webserver and the mapping goes. Remote control does not work.

The default factory files on this device, already are in the state as the modfiles, as in the config-local.xml etc. The reason it does not play a sound on wifi connect is simple; that soundfile SND_NETWORK_CONNECT.snd is simply not present on this device.

Changing the files in such a way that the Smartcontrol xml is also loaded, results in a bot for which the control somewhat works, but which is somehow so loaded with this, that it does not function anymore. If you press a button, it takes like 2 minutes before it acts on it. It doesnt drive or clean anymore then.

It's a realtime OS. I think the lg.srv is polling too often. Next step is to have the smartcontrol loaded, but the lg.srv not.

On another subject; I have succeeded in compiling different wifi dongle drivers for it. As LG has the open source part for this bot as download, you can cross-compile a kernel with all desired modules, and then copy the appropiate .ko file to your device. Right now I'm using it with the default RT8192 driver, but I also have a newere dongle based on a normally not supported chipset functioning. This dongle has a smaller form-factor, which is why I want to use that.

For now however, I'm sticking to the already present RT driver, to exclude the driver in troubleshooting it.

• This bot is supposed to have 2 cams, which might be a reason why the cam doesnt work.

From product pictures it does not have two cameras ... DUAL EYE is referring to the top camera and the "mouse sensor" under the bot. My bot also has DUAL EYE and the cam works.

Also, from exploring the lg.srv code I learn that it connects to localhost 4000 on the bot for the buttons. However, this bot does not have anything listening on port 4000, but it DOES have something listening on port 9000 on localhost.

So I suspect if I change the port from 4000 to 9000, i'll be in business.

Simply changeing port 4000 to port 9000 did unfortunatelly not do the job for the controls. This needs further investigation. The webinterface works, both the original one as the new version. With the exception of the controls and the cams.

AFAIK there is actually communication on two ports ... one for authentication and one for communication. Maybe this is different on your model or both ports changed?

I take it this forum and thread is dead. A shame.

I think this thread is more or less a tomb since page 20 :-P
    Too many different topics in one thread, the same questions raised over and over again due to bad visibility, too much non-sense aswell.

• Und dadurch, das hier neuerdings nur noch in Englisch gepostet wird, werden die Threads auch nicht übersichtlicher. Ich finde, wenn man sich schon in einem anderen Land in Foren informieren will, sollte man sich auch die kleine zusätzliche Mühe machen und seine Fragen durch den Google-Übersetzer zu schicken. Ich kann ja auch nicht in einem französischem Forum Fragen auf Deutsch stellen, da würde man nämlich gar keine passende Antwort kriegen.

• Dass kan man finden, aber Deutche leute sprechen am ganzen welt Deutch and nicht die sprache des landes, so velliecht soll men da erstmal das guten beispiel geben, nicht wahr? Vorher man hier die moralist wird.

Jedem jarh gibt es viele miljone deutche leute wer die Nederlander besuchen, und kein ein wort niederlandisch sprechen, und das ganz normal vinden.

• Das stimmt wohl, die Niederlande sind ja auch sehr schön und die Leute sehr nett. Das hat aber ja nun nichts mit der Übersichtlichkeit in einem Technik-Forum zu tun. Es wird doch immer schwieriger z.B. in diesem langen Thread Infos zu finden, wenn auch noch in verschiedenen Sprachen gepostet wird.

Edited once, last by happylg ().

• Das hass sowieso nichts mit ein forum zu machen, technisches oder nicht. Da wird moralistisch gesprochen so wie das nicht nett ist und die vergeleich gemacht mit echtes leben. Weil ins echte lebens, weil, wenn man nacht europa schauwt, die Deutchen das ersten volk sein wer uberal und immer deutch sprechen.

Also this is a technical forum. If you're a technical person, and you can't understand English, then your simply NOT a technical person. All over the world, technical discussions are being held in English. This is standard and default, everywhere.

Although I do speak a tiny bit of German (no google translate was used for my postings), it's not good and this clouds the actual subject. I chose clarity over localisation, assuming that anybody who even hast the faintest technical interest, could read it.

I have absolutely no issues with German people, grew up near the border near Gronau. So I know all about people refusing to speak the language. If there's one country of ppl who have lost every right to complain about this, it's the Germans.

I speak Dutch (ofcoruse, natively), English on a native level, German (writing is a bit less), Some French, and when in spain or italy I try to speak Spanish or Italian. Now you tell me, howmany of these languages do you speak, and what language do you speak when you're abroad? Exactly ;)

Anyways, highly offtopic and not worth starting a flamewar for. Note that I didn't only come here to ask questions (in fact, I solved the issues I had myself) but also to share knowledge. About a model not previously mentioned in this thread.

Let our common hobby be what links us together, instead of language driving us apart.